Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Provo Half Marathon!




















I know what you guys are thinking, "I didn't know that Carrie was a runner?" That is because, I am not! The last week of February my sister Chellese posted on her blog that she was going to do this half marathon the first week in April, well I decided that I wanted to do something like this that would force me to exercise, so I decided to do it and I paid the registration fee and ran that day (about 2 miles) and a couple days later I ran again (about 2 and 1/2 miles) keep in mind that I really haven't been exercising so I felt pretty good about making it that far. Then on the 5th of march I found out that I was pregnant, so I felt like I shouldn't push myself too hard. Then the following week on the 10th I ended up miscarrying which I was OK with, (bummed, but felt like it was supposed to happen) but then I couldn't run for about another week, so I ran a total of four times before the race, and the farthest I had ran was 4 miles. The day before the race my shoes were really bothering me and I also had a blister on the back of my heel so I decided to by new shoes the night before. I also had a wart on the ball of my foot that was really bugging me, but I couldn't get it removed because it was too close to race time and I wouldn't be able to run on it. Also, I NEVER get diarrhea and right before I did, (Seriously, what the H? the universe was working against me!) sorry for all the details. Anyway, the day of the race came (April 4th) it was snowing and freezing cold. My goal was to make it to the halfway point (6.55 miles) before I stopped to walk, I felt pretty good that I made it 7.5 miles before I stopped, my knee started to hurt at mile seven, but I walked only short periods. It was funny I kept singing songs in my head like, "I'm a survivor, I'm gonna make it, I'm a survivor, keep on surviving, I'm not, gonna give up , I'm gonna work harder!" and I also sang the ABC"S and head shoulders knee's and toes ( I think I need to get an MP3 player!) This is also where old ladies and really heavy people started to pass me and I seriously couldn't keep up with them, it was pretty discouraging, and motivating at the same time. When I got to mile 11 I stopped to shake my leg, to see if I could make the pain go away in my knee and I made it worse I didn't think I was going to be able to walk, I was mad at myself, because I knew I wouldn't be able to make my goal of 2 hours and 15 min, but I didn't want to do any permanent damage so I took it easy and ran carefully and somehow was able to cross the finish line. I made it in 2 hours 33 mins and I felt okay with that considering I was VERY unprepared and I stopped for a bathroom break, dang poop, slowing me down! Now I am excited to try another one in August (hobble creek) it is supposed to be a good one to start out on because it is all downhill, so if anyone wants to do it with me, I would love it! P.S. Thanks Chellese for doing this with me, you rock (under 2 hours!) it was fun and painful, and I love you!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Missy said...

Oh wow! The universe was working against you! But you did it! Great job!
I'm sorry about the miscarriage. I guess it just wasn't meant to be, like you said.

Bearden Family said...

Way to go Carrie. I used to enjoy running. I can't do that anymore. I miss it, but oh well....
Sorry to hear about the baby. I hope you are well.

Tiffy Ann said...

That is pretty dang awesome! I'm glad that you were able to finish the race. There is no way that I would be able to do it. Sorry about all the crap that went wrong. Hopefully you are doing well now!

KrisJ said...

Holy Crap girl good job!! I am so not a runner I excersize every night but running is sooo not for me, I cant believe you did that well with all those obsitcals! Your amazing and you looked so cute to NO FAIR!

The Tophams said...

Way to go! That's great for your first half! I might be signing up for hobble creek too! I did it last year, it was my second half, and I barfed my head off about an hour after the race. Way fun! Hopefully this time it will end a little better. So sorry about the baby, hope everything is going well for you now.

Katy said...

Carrie!! I want to do the Hobble Creek race. I'm working on getting back to where I was this summer in running (it isn't going very well), so now maybe I will have some motivation. Call me.

P.S. Sorry about your miscarriage, that is a bummer.

Andy, Suzette,Addie,Jack said...

Way to go Carrie!! I am seriously so impressed. Holy CRAP, HA Ha (literally). That is so crazy that all that happened, what a bummer. I have to say you are the man or woMAN, if all that happened to me I think I would have cursed and called it quits.

Chellese said...

Yay, Carrie. I'm glad you posted about this. You're going to be amazed by your progress by the time you do Hobble Creek. You'll kick some serious butt. Love you.

Matt, Meggan & Ty said...

You crack me up!! I'm proud of you for stinkin' in there! You're amazazing!!

Kelli @ The Loss Cause said...

I can't believe you did so well without being prepared. Way to go! Hobble Creek is an awesome half marathon. I have done it a couple of times and it rocks. It is good preparation for the St. George Marathon when you decide to do that :) St. George is down hill too.

Aimee said...

That's awesome!! I was laughing so hard after reading your post. But good job, especially for having only run 4 miles before. That is some serious preparation right there Carrie! :)

I think you might see me & Sara at the hobble creek one. We'll see.

Jenni said...

Good Job! Tyler and I are signed up to do the Hobble Creek. It will be a party!